Jumunjin was once called Jisanhyeon in the days of Goguryeo Kingdom or Yanggok. Then it was renamed Jisan in the days of King Gyeongduk (757) belonging to Myeongju. In Goryeo Dynasty (1918), It was assigned to Yeongok-gyun according to the revised government organization. Jumun-ri where Jumunjin lighthouse is situated was again renamed to Sinri-myeon.
In 1913, Gangreungdaedohobu was changed to Gangreungbu, while Sinri-myeon remained unchanged. Then in April 1, 1937, Shinri was renamed to today's Jumunjin because a ferry was there.
The name of site where Jumunjin lighthouse is situated was Bonggumi, where Taebaek Mountains is met with the sea. The fishermen standing on the rocky hill with the news of big haul are there for a quite long time, 83 years. The lighthouse has still shed light with hope on the fishermen.
|Location||187-2, 10-ban, Jumun 7-ri, Jumunjin-eup, Gangreung-si , Gangwon-do
(N : 37° 53' 7"/E : 128° 50' 2")
|First day of operation||March 1918|
|Visual Aids||Type||DKRB-400 (220V - 150W)|
|Effective Range||17 miles Geographically, 31 miles optically, 20 miles (37km)nominally|
|Whistling frequency||?A 60-second sound (5 seconds with 55 second pause)|
|Effective Range||3 miles (5.5km)|
|Staff||3 including the director|
|Contacts||Phone : +82-33-662-2131
E - mail : email@example.com
Until the late Joseon Dynasty and Japanese colonial days, navigation was totally dependent on eye measurement, which made it extremely difficult for the vessels to enter the port in inclement climate. Thus the need for building a lighthouse facility at Jumunjin port, the heaviest traffic port with fishing boats, in the middle of east coast area became critical.
Structure and Features of the Light Tower
- Structure: A 10m-wide round-shaped brick structure.
- Features: A Japanese architectural-style tower on a stair foundation, which was built with bricks only.
The column and roof surrounded steel gate were designed with Japanese architectural pattern. The pattern of entrance gate extended from the stairs disclosed our nation's shameful days in the past, and the bullet-pocked wall also reminds the people of the tragic legacy left behind by the Korean War. The value as cultural asset is worth preserving.
- March 1918 : Establishment of lighthouse and first lighting (Oil lamp - Red and white arc light, round shaped brick light - postal service office of Japanese Joseon government).
- March 1925 : Conversion of electrical light equipment.
- March 1928 : Change of light quality( Red light with interval of 6.25 second).
- December 1943 : Jumunjin lighthouse, Japanese Joseon government.
- August 15, 1945 : Jumunjin lighthouse, Mukho port office of Transport Division of American Army government
- June 1950 : Damage of light tower by Korean War.
- July 1951 : Restoration of lighting equipment - Aga type(Lighting equipment with six 300W light bulbs rotated by 12V motor, mercury light).
- December 1955 : Jumunjin lighthouse, Mukho Sea control office of Sea control office.
- October 1, 1961 : Jumunjin lighthouse, Mukho Regional Maritime Affairs of Ministry of Transport.
- December 1962 : Installation of radio navigation aid (Radio Beacon - 295KHz, 150W, CM )
- May. 1965 : Installation of sound signal equipment (Air Siren)
- December 1969 : Improvement of lighting equipment( Aga type→DCB 36 )
- March 1976 : Jumunjin lighthouse, Mukho Regional Port Administration Office of Korea Port Administration.
- December 1977 : Jumunjin lighthouse, Mukho Regional Maritime and Port Administration of Korea Maritime and Port Administration.
- June 1980 : Jumunjin lighthouse, Mukho Regional Maritime and Port Administration of Korea Maritime and Port Administration.
- Aug.1, 1988 : Navigation Aid Office, Mukho Regional Maritime and Port Administration of Korea Maritime and Port Administration.
- August 8, 1996 : Navigation Aid Office, Mukho Regional Maritime and Port Administration of Ministry of Maritime and Fishery Affairs.
- May 24, 1997 : Navigation Aid Office, Mukho Regional Maritime and Port Administration of Ministry of Maritime and Fishery Affairs.
- June 17, 2000 : Commencement of DGPS operation and restoration of radio beacon function (Jumunjin Differential Global Positioning System(DGPS) Station - 2K10W9W,295KHz,300W, CM )
- September 15, 2004 : Termination of radio beacon signal and deletion of ID
- December 25, 2004 : Improvement of lighting equipment(DKRB-400) and change of rotation interval
Jumunjin Navigation Aids Office comprises of 1 office building, radio operation room and a staff lodging facility. Since the renovation work finished in 2002 its facility has been upgraded a notch. A watchtower built on radio room is good for viewing the sunrise. It's always crowded with the anglers, who can always enjoy strong sea fishes, along the seashore beneath the tower.
How to Get to the Lighthouse
- By car
Yeongdong Expressway → Donghae Expressway (Jumunjin tollgate) → #7 National Road (down) → Tower
- By public transportation
- Gangreung bus terminal (Exp bus) → Jumunjin bus terminal → Tower (10 min) : Express bus at every 10 minutes
- #31 or 31-7 bys in downtown Gangreung to Suhyeop sageori → 5-minute walk distance
- #31 or 31-7 bys in at Gangreung station to Suhyeop sageori → 5-minute walk distance
Jumunjin lighthouse has a wide view of Jumunjin fishing village, and it has guided fishermen from dark sea to the land for decades. Thus, it is served as a lifeline for fishermen. Breakwater on the way to the lighthouse is so famous among anglers for a sea fishing place opened for four seasons. Especially, it is crowded with fishermen to catch Namjongbari(a kind of black porgy named by Gangneung dialect) between September through October.
The East Sea in azure color spreads endlessly viewed from the Taebaek mountains. The sea, which cannot be caught by one's eye, is connected from East to South and West as one.
There is Gangneung's Jumunjin where the sight of South-North and East-West comes together, which is definitely a heart throbbing view. Jumunjin's morning is so dynamic because it long has been a hometown of fishing ships that goes in hand in hand with the beautiful East Sea. The muddy smell of the fishes is covered by joyfulness from fishing ships filled up with fishes. Jumunjin lighthouse stands among them. A master of the East Sea, who has silently lighted up dark and opens dawn with full of hope, stands among sea fine trees on the cliff of the costal line.
From the observation platform decorated freshly, one can view the sunset; the sunset settles into your heart, giving hopes to those who are watching, making one become ecstatic with appreciation. Such place is the Jumunjin lighthouse. Sunrise of Jumunjin, which opens us to a sacred morning everyday, gives a breathless view of red sun reflected on the glass of light tower and seagulls' swelling flap of wings.
We are always welcomed to an auction house with sounds of bell celebrating for the immense amount of fishes. There are fishes in warm current including squids for summer and in cold current caught by tens of fishing ships from small fishing ship with coarse fishes, less than one ton, to big fishing ships, which catches couple of tens or near to one hundred ton.
Jumunjin lighthouse is located on a place where one can enjoy sashimi made out of flapping, fresh, live fish. You can enjoy mouthful of wriggling fresh seafood in cold seawater and take squids as well as various sorts of seafood in Styrofoam boxes for keeping freshness with you from sashimi houses located on the gate of the breakwater to sashimi houses along the costal road.
Also, in squid season, all empty spaces in Jumunjin including the rooftop of every house are occupied by drying squids. Besides these, one can experience seafood market which opens at 5AM and watch woman divers catch brown seaweed, sea cucumber, echinoid, abalone and others.
Jumunjin lighthouse is a place which receives the strong and powerful force from Taebaek Mountains and it is where one can hold fresh and clean East seawater by two hands.
- Jumunjin Beach
300m southeast of Hyangho Lake, a white-sand beach is extended over an area of 120,000m2, along the pine tree forest. With shallow water and plenty of shellfishes, it's very attractive for family tourist. Sodol port is within easy reach of the tourist.
- Sogeumgang(Riv.) in Odaesan(Mt.)
Among some tourist spots named "Sogeumgang" for their picturesque view, Sogeumgang in Odaesan must be on top of all. It used be called "Cheonghakdong Sogeumgang" or "Yeongok Sogeumgang" but since it was merged into the Odaesan national Park, it's been called Odaesan Sogeumgang. Odaesan Sogeumgang's scenic view remains unchanged over the seasons. But particularly it's famous as summer resort and the spots for scarlet autumn leaves. Sogeumgang was first named by Lee Yee, (a famous scholar with a pen of 'Yurgok' In Joseon Dynasty) and it reveals its real beauty at Mureunggye Mureungpok. Sipjaso (pond with a shape of '+') waves its deep water under the fall 1.1km away from Moueunggye, and Sikdangam (rock) waits in 600m. A large flat rock where Yulgok or Magoseon and Sucheon governor was said to have had the dinner is extended. Climbing the Geukrakgogae and passing Saesimdae and Cheongsimdae, Guryongpok(fall) waits the people. Nine small falls continue, then Manmulsang is in sight. Guimyeonam(rock) resembling to giant's face, Chotdaeseok looks like candlestand, Ilwolbong looks like sun in day and moon in night, and Tangeumdae bringing up the image of Geomungo(a Korean lute). It takes 2 hours to Manmulsang from administration office (about 4km). Integration with nearby Yeongok beach will be a great help in making a diverse schedule.
- Adeul Bawi (Rock of Son)
Uplifted rock from the seabed in the Jurassic period 150 million years age. A long time ago, an aged couple was said to have had a baby after a 100-day prayer. A childless couple's prayer here is said to have come true.
Among 8 scenic spots in Gwandong, it is evaluated to be the best. Gyeongpo lake, blue sea and Daegwallyeong behind are well harmonized to make a picturesque view. Five moons are said to be seen in the sky, sea, lake, wine glass and lover's eyes here, and cherries are in full blossom in spring. Yulgok's writings, including 'Gyeongpodaebu' written as he was 10 year old, together with King Sukjong's, are hanging on the wall of an arbor. Especially, a hanging board saying "Jeil-Gangsan"(the most beautiful rivers and hills), which was reportedly written by Jujibeon or Meebul, is catching people's eyes.